Skip to main content
 We have been having cold weather here in south Florida (today it's warm again....yay!) with lows in the low forties and highs in the high fifties/low sixties.  I was craving childhood comfort food.  It isn't always easy for me to share recipes as a lot of what I make isn't from a written recipe.  A recipe is just a framework.  If one tries to understand the basic structure, there is much room for the individual cook's creativity.  This was our Saturday evening dinner.  It's basically how my grandmother and my mother made theirs.


Stuffed Cabbage/Golabki
Ingredients:
1 medium head of cabbage
1/3 lb salt pork
1 large onion finely diced
1/2lb ground chuck
1/2lb ground pork
1 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice (after cooking;not 1 1/2 cups dried rice)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 can tomato soup or tomato sauce
How to Make this Recipe:
Cook rice until just tender, do not overcook; set aside to cool
Core cabbage and put in large stockpot of boiling water
carefully remove individual leaves as they cook and separate from head, drain and set on large platter
continue to remove leaves and cook cabbage until all leaves are tender
cut rib from center of each leaf
sautee' onion and salt pork (finely diced)
combine ground meat, rice, seasonings, egg and half of onion/salt pork mix; add half can of soup/sauce
Using largest leaves first, place meat filling in each leaf, roll up, tucking in sides as you go
If you have more meat than leaves, roll into little porcupine meatballs
Chop up any leftover leaves that are too small to stuff and put in bottom of baking dish/roasting pan/crockpot
Gently layer stuffed cabbage bundles in pan
Top with baby meatballs if you have them
Sprinkle with the rest of the cooked onion salt pork mixture
Top with the rest of the tomato sauce.
Pour over the rest of the tomato sauce (you can use as much or as little tomato sauce as you wish.  My mother never used any, but I like a small amount.  My friend Chris, pours a large amount of tomato juice over her cabbage rolls and then bakes them in a covered roasting pan).  You can bake them or cook them slowly in a covered pot on top of the stove.  I usually do mine in the oven, but this time, because we're in the trailer, I used the crockpot.  If baking, about an hour and a half at 325 degrees.  I did mine in the crockpot for 45 minutes on high then 2 hours on low.  On the stove top, cook on fairly low heat covered so that the cabbage rolls steam and the filling cooks thoroughly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging in the Age of Pandemic

Pandemic What if you thought of it as the Jews consider the Sabbath — the most sacred of times? Cease from travel. Cease from buying and selling. Give up, just for now, on trying to make the world different than it is. Sing. Pray. Touch only those to whom you commit your life. Center down. And when your body has become still, reach out with your heart. Know that we are connected in ways that are terrifying and beautiful. (You could hardly deny it now.) Know that our lives are in one another’s hands. (Surely, that has come clear.) Do not reach out your hands. Reach out your heart. Reach out your words. Reach out all the tendrils of compassion that move, invisibly, where we cannot touch. Promise this world your love — for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, so long as we all shall live. Lynn Unger During this immediate time, we seem to be living in an alternate reality.  We now throw around phrases and words

Surreal

S urreal is the only word I can think of for this past Friday, Good Friday, only the second time we have left the house in four weeks.  The first time was for The Great Brit/TGB (my husband) to see a spinal neurosurgeon. Yesterday’s outing was for a follow-up MRI and X-rays. My sweet neighbor had made us quilted face masks with a place to insert a filter.  We wore them to our appointments. Photo When we arrived at the four-story medical building, there was a check-in station outside the door. Our temperature was taken, we were asked a series of questions. Have you been out of the country? Have you traveled to New York, NewJersey or Connecticut in the last 48 hours? Have you been on a cruise ship in the last 48 hours? Unless someone who has lived under a rock for the past two months or is insane or certifiably stupid would answer “yes” to any of those questions?  We had our temperatures taken, hands sanitized and were admitted. There were paper masks available.  I assu

Cassoulet

I am determined that I can cook everything in the travel trailer that I cook at home. I said cook, not bake. I haven’t tackled baking yet. We’ve become friendly with a Canadian couple who are Full-timers. They live in a large motor home and follow the sun. Last week, friends of theirs who also have a motor home drove down from Toronto. We planned a dinner for the six of us. I said I’d do main course and salad if they’d do pre-dinner nibbles, bread and dessert. Cassoulet is a nice, easy dinner. Unfortunately, the dutch oven I usually make it in is too big for the trailer’s teeny oven. I turned to my new best friend, the crock pot. Actually, the only thing I did differently was to toss everything into the crock pot rather than the dutch oven and bake. This meal serves 6-8. The meal was a huge hit. The Canadians loved it. Cassoulet 1 lb dried white beans (I use Cannellini) 1.5 lbs sausages (I used Johnsonville Bit O’ Garlic Irish Sausages as I cannot find French garlic sausages here